HOW DO I COMMISSION A PIECE OF FURNITURE OR A KITCHEN?
Commissioning should be an enjoyable process, we do our very best to ensure you are delivered a unique bespoke heirloom quality piece that you can be proud of and so can we.
- Contact us via email or phone. (See CONTACT page)
- Email us a sketch or image that inspires you or even a link to your Pinterest page.
- This is when the fun begins… I guide you through timber and finish options. We brainstorm and bounce ideas around... a design starts to develop.
- We provide you with a quote and timeline estimate.
- If you decide to proceed we ask for a deposit and your position in our work schedule is secured.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
Usually 6-10 weeks, this will depend on my current projects and how complex your commission is. Once you approve your design we will be able to set a delivery date.
IS IT EXPENSIVE?
We cannot compete with a lot of the mass production manufacturers prices. We are not in business to produce the cheapest products possible. The long term appreciation of an heirloom quality piece remains long after the initial investment is forgotten. Talk to us, you may be pleasantly surprised.
WHAT ARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS?
I am a qualified Cabinet Maker and designer with almost 20 years’ experience working with clients, both private and commercial. I have experience working in the design and development of retail furniture as well as one off custom made bespoke pieces of furniture and kitchens. Please see the ABOUT US page for more ...
WHAT TYPE OF TIMBERS DO YOU USE?
We do our very best to only use sustainably sourced timbers and will not use any species of timbers we believe to be unethical.
I have worked with many different species of Australian Timbers, some favorites including Blackwood, Myrtle, Chestnut, Blackbutt, River Red Gum, Blue Gum, Ironbark Grey, Jarrah, Sassafras, Spotted Gum, Tallowwood…
Some American species such as White Oak, Ash, Black Walnut, Hard Maple and Cherry. Some other species from around the world include European oak, European Beech, New Guinea Rosewood… I have a good understanding of how each will perform and can offer advice from a design and fashion point of view.
WHAT DO YOU FINISH YOUR FURNITURE AND KITCHENS WITH?
Furniture and kitchen finishes are dependent on customer requirements. I am happy to discuss different finishes including oil, wax, shellac, some lacquers, gilded or painted finishes…
HOW DO YOU SOURCE THE TIMBER FOR YOUR WOODEN WARES?
I use sustainably sourced timbers and my collections use mainly left over off-cuts from my commission work. Timbers that are too precious to become kindling for a fire.
WHAT DO YOU FINISH YOUR WOODEN WARES WITH?
All wooden wares and kitchen tools are finished with a food grade mineral oil and a bees wax. Pillar candle stick holders are stained and polished in a non food grade finish.
WHO MAKES THE ITEMS YOU SELL?
Each Item is handmade by me in my workshop.
DO YOU REALLY MAKE EVERY PIECE BY HAND?
Yes, truly I do... so each piece is slightly different, dependent on the timber and how much coffee I have had that day!
HOW LONG WILL MY WOODEN WARES ORDER TAKE TO MAKE AND SHIP?
Most of the time, orders will be filled within two working days and will be sent via Australia Post. Current Australia post-delivery standards are: standard deliver 3-7 working days. Express 2-3 days. Delivery times are dependent on your address and Australia post. If you are unsure - please email me to confirm.
DO YOU ACCEPT CUSTOM REQUESTS?
We love custom orders. Just send me an EMAIL with your ideas.
WHAT PAYMENT OPTIONS WILL I HAVE AT CHECKOUT?
We accept most major credit cards and PayPal.
CUSTOM FURNITURE FURTHER INFORMATION
- If you decide to proceed we require a 50% deposit. This secures your position in our work schedule and will cover the cost of materials as well as drafting your ideas into a design. Final payment is due upon delivery
- If you are commissioning a kitchen or built in cabinetry we will need to visit the location to do a measure.
- We then produce CAD drawings if required. You are then provided with the final design and dimensions and once you are completely happy and approve, your commissioned build will commence.
- Our workshop is located in Drummond, Victoria. You are welcome to visit, we understand this may not be convenient, so we are very happy to provide progress photos. We can send to you directly or we can post the progress of the build on Instagram for you to follow.
- When your commission is ready we will deliver and install it. Unless prior arrangement has been made and your commission is being transported interstate by furniture removalists.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS COMMISSIONING A PIECE OF FURNITURE OR A KITCHEN CONTACT US.